Updates – January 2022
[We have added a new Z-wave light switch at #12 to make this list more exhaustive and current for our readers.]
[After 8 hours of extensive research, we found out that the best z-wave light switch currently available on the market is Linear Wall Mount Dimmer Switch.]
Z-Wave light switches are the modern alternative to controlling the indoor or outdoor lighting. Gone are the days when people used to get up every time in order to turn the lights on or off.
The fully automated Z-light switches provide you with the comfort of controlling the lighting from a smartphone, tablet or PC.
The remote-control operation of light switches is the new revolution that every household needs, no matter what. You can sync a single light switch with many lights or appliances. It can be done by wirelessly pairing the switches to control lights from a distance.
We have put together a list of the best 11 Z-wave light switches for you. Make sure that you go through each one of them to find the right choice for your home.
Z-Wave Light Switch Features
- 1 Z-Wave Light Switch Features
- 2 Best Z-Wave Light Switch Reviews
- 2.1 1. HomeSeer HS-WD100+
- 2.2 2. GE Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Dimmer
- 2.3 3. Leviton VRMX1
- 2.4 4. Eaton Aspire Wireless Light Switch
- 2.5 5. GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Lighting Control
- 2.6 6. Linear Wall-Mount Dimmer Switch
- 2.7 7. Enerwave 3-Way Smart LED Light Dimmer
- 2.8 8. Leviton Decora Switch
- 2.9 9. GE- Z Wave Wireless Lighting Control Three-Way On/Off Kit
- 2.10 10. GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Controls
- 2.11 11. Inovelli Z-Wave Switch
- 2.12 12. UltraPro Z-Wave Smart Rocker Light Switch with QuickFit and SimpleWire
- 3 The Best Z-Wave Light Switch
Still wondering about the features you should look for in a Z-Wave light switch? Thinking about how they make your life easier? Not to worry, we shall elaborate the benefits of these modern light switches for you–
The user experiences the ultimate in-home automation of light with the intuitive control system of a Z-wave light switch. You will discover that it is really easy to control the lighting on your command whether it is indoors or outdoors.
A Z-Wave light switch provides easy management of the lighting inside or around the house with a fully automated system.
One switch to control multiple lights
With a Z-Wave light switch, you can also connect one switch to multiple light switches or appliances so that you don’t have to bother turning them on or off separately.
The event-based control of the Z-wave light switches imparts an added security feature to your house.
A Z-wave light switch enables automated lighting. This offers energy savings as the automated system doesn’t demand any interaction.
Best Z-Wave Light Switch Reviews
Let us talk about the top 11 Z-Wave light switches ideal for your home or office needs in detail, and then look at which one rises up as the best Z-wave light switch –
1. HomeSeer HS-WD100+
Replace your traditional dimmer switch with the HomeSeer Wireless Z-Wave wall dimmer and enable easy Z-Wave on/off dim control at your home. Compatible with CFL/LEDs up to 150 Watts and incandescent up to 600 Watts, the dimmer lets you control the light or even turn it on/off easily.
- The other noteworthy thing about this dimmer is that it comes with the ‘central scene’ Z-Wave command class which lets the users trigger up to six automation events.
- Not only that, it also works as a scene controller by tapping the rocker switch in 6 different ways.
- It comes with Z-Wave Plus certification for compatibility with wide range of appliances.
- The product also lets you save on energy and can customize lighting as per your choice.
- You can brighten or dim the light at your own will.
- The flickering problem might arise along with the inconsistent behavior with the LEDs.
- Tech support is not attentive and you will have to follow up a bunch of times with them.
It works and looks great with the SmartThings hub and other mentioned compatible hubs. You won’t notice any low-pitch humming noise from the LED with it which is common in other Z-wave light switches. The double and triple-tap profiles make the entire scene programming task all that simpler.
2. GE Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Dimmer
GE Z-Wave Smart Dimmer can transform any home into a smart one with its intelligent features and automated lighting control. The best thing about this is its compatibility with Amazon Alexa for voice control.
- You can create an ambient effect or interior lighting scenes with just a single tap with this one. It provides flexibility of adding up to four GE Add-on switches for multi-switch applications.
- It comes with a blue LED indicator that helps you locate the switch even in a dark room with ease.
- It is compatible with any Z-wave certified gateway and Wink App.
- Enable wireless control of the CFL, LED and incandescent lighting inside or around your home to create the perfect ambiance.
- You can also customize the lighting output using the dimmer feature so you can save some extra bucks by lesser energy consumption.
- Some buyers are complaining of it being glitchy and unresponsive after a while.
- The bright blue LED on the switch stays on at night making it difficult to sleep in its vicinity.
The GE Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Dimmer makes it easier to control and manage your light fixtures from anywhere. It is energy-efficient and performs a bunch of functions to justify that under 140 dollars price tag well. You can easily control it via your smartphones and tablets too through the Wi-Fi for more comfortable use.
3. Leviton VRMX1
The Leviton Z-Wave light switch is the next level technology designed to support dimmable CFLs and LEDs along with Halogens, Mark10, and magnetic lighting loads. It not only offers universal lighting support but also provides sophisticated technological features on command such as security and beaming.
- Equipped with highly advanced Vizia RF technology, it is capable of producing dimmer features with 49 different fading rates and transient surge suppression.
- The innovative style makes it best choice to blend into any décor for homes or offices. The switch features a horizontal LED locator with a brightness indicator bar.
- The futuristic design of Leviton provides flexibility and ease of access to the users.
- It is universally supported by most of the security systems as well as home automation systems.
- The flattering design of these switches is also optimized for use in Z-Wave door locks. It also works with Amazon’s Alexa and supports dimming feature through easy voice control.
- The dangerous power trickle through your light panels triggered by it can be lethal.
- You will not be able to completely switch off the light all the way with this switch.
This light switch has been created especially to be used with the Vizia RF+ family of Z-Wave energy management and lighting control products. You can dim the incandescent, halogen, Mark 10, and magnetic lighting loads, LED and CFL with its help. For now, you can get it within 60 dollars, if it suits your current requirements.
4. Eaton Aspire Wireless Light Switch
Eaton’s Light Switch can easily control up to five RF devices with added security features such as Child Lockout and Panic Mode Compatibility. This model can offer 3-way control, thanks to its compatibility with Aspire RF Accessory Switch. This eliminates the need for traditional 3-way wiring system.
- It is a programmable delayed OFF feature. This feature will turn off the lights in intended time if not in use.
- That makes it ideal for kids’ rooms or areas where lights are left on often.
- With Eaton switches, you can enjoy the convenience of controlling multiple switches with a click of one button.
- Coming to the design of the switch, it features a decent alpine white finish that looks very attractive and modern. All in all, it will go with any décor – rustic, modern, casual or cozy.
- This switch offers all in one lighting solution along with energy efficiency, safety, and productivity.
- The switch will stop working wirelessly if it is not compatible with your home Wi-Fi.
- The built quality is quite cheap to consider it as a durable option.
Think about it only if you have over 120 dollars to spare. It has a number of fancy features to back up its prices such as the programmable delayed OFF feature and many more. But you need to take into account your requirements first. It is designed perfectly to manage the lighting of playrooms or children’s bedrooms that needs to be well-lit most of the time.
5. GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Lighting Control
The GE- Z-Wave switch offers the lighting control wirelessly from just anywhere. You can schedule, control or adjust lighting and control the brightness of any dimmable ceiling or wall light.
- The GE smart dimmer offers ultimate flexibility to control lighting with any mobile device.
- It can facilitate full-range dim ability that also saves a lot of energy. So, it will prolong the life of the light bulbs at your home.
- As compared to other classic Z-Wave light models, the GE Z-Wave Plus is a smarter dimmer by offering 50% more energy efficiency and wireless range.
- It works with 250% faster processor and 400% enhanced memory.
- Coming to its installation, it is easy to install with your existing home wires and can be used with a single as well as multi-switch applications. It offers complete control from mobile devices without any issue.
- Its sensor is not compatible with a number of commonly used smart hubs.
- The LEDs do not work well with this lighting control and cause faulty functioning while connected with it.
You get the best of wireless operation with the GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Lighting Control. Program and save a number of scenes to activate them whenever required later. Manage the wall, ceiling and accent lighting with preset scenes while shelling out less than 40 dollars for it.
6. Linear Wall-Mount Dimmer Switch
This wall-mount dimmer switch from Linear lets you wirelessly control your light switches with its GoControl Smart Dimmer Switch. You can turn the lights on or off, control dimming, change color with its Trim Ring Kit and control operations remotely. It is compatible with all Z-Wave certified devices making it easy to install.
- With a capacity of 500 watts, it lets you control pre-installed halogens, fluorescents, and LEDs at your home.
- The dimmer accesses the Z-Wave network to control the brightness of any lights associated with it.
- The other smart feature about Linear Wall-Mount Dimmer Switch is that it can act as a repeater to extend the Z-Wave network by an additional 130-feet.
- It also supports the Association command class which can control other Z-Wave devices as well.
- The switch comes in classy design in white with a Z-Wave smart chip that enables two-way RF (Radio Frequency) communication using the international wireless standards of Z-Wave.
- It starts buzzing unless you keep it on full power.
- The tech support comes with the fees of 50 dollars for actually useful help.
All you need is around 39 dollars to try out this dimmer switch. It doubles up as a repeater too and can be accessed via your smart devices. The dimmer shows perfect compatibility with all the Z-Wave-certified devices. It comes with three trim ring options in black, almond and brown shade.
7. Enerwave 3-Way Smart LED Light Dimmer
The Enerwave light dimmer is compatible with 3-way lighting to facilitate control from multiple locations. You can remotely control the lighting, dimming, turn on or off on will and remotely perform all these functions with a click on your mobile device.
- The smart light dimmer switch comes with Z-wave association feature that enables remote control operation for enhanced home security and energy efficiency.
- The switch is compatible with all other certified Z-Wave devices.
- It also acts as a repeater to extend the range of RF signals.
- Coming to its design, it features a sophisticated design and comes with two extra interchangeable covers – black and light almond.
- It works flawlessly with iPhone, iPad, tablet or Samsung Galaxy.
- It works terribly with the dimmable LED lights.
- The switches will randomly disappear from the smart home network every now and then.
It offers the wireless control of your home light fixture within the 40 dollars range. You will get the Incandescent up to 500W and upto 100 feet of detection range. The sleek design and LED indicator instantly make it a part of your sophisticated smart home set up.
8. Leviton Decora Switch
The Leviton’s Decora Switch is a universal switch designed to use for residential lighting purpose as well as commercial spaces. It is compatible with all Z-Wave certified switches. It offers compatibility with a large range of loads such as halogen, incandescent, magnetic low-voltage, magnetic high voltage, fluorescent and more.
- This switch is also compatible with the Wink Hub and is well optimized to use for Z-Wave enables automation hubs, gateways, and controllers.
- It comes with a built-in transient surge suppression feature.
- The switch also offers voice control through Amazon Echo and SmartThings.
- The switch is ideal for any home setting with its low-power remote operation.
- It can be used as a single pole or multi-way switch with its remote.
- The Wink hub and its app is not fully compatible with this switch.
- Your manual changes to the switch will not be registered in its software thus rendering the efforts useless.
The various load types supported by it are incandescent, halogen and magnetic low voltage, electronic low voltage, fluorescent, and motor loads. It is best suited for motor applications and residential lighting. It comes with the White, Light Almond, and Ivory faceplates.
9. GE- Z Wave Wireless Lighting Control Three-Way On/Off Kit
The GE- Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Three-Way On/Off Kit will replace the traditional the 3-way switch configuration to facilitate remote control of lighting through any device. You can wirelessly control as well as turn on/off the functions of halogens, incandescent, LEDs, xenon and other pre-installed lighting.
- The kit comes with a primary switch and auxiliary switch to control light as well as locate the switch in a dark room.
- The kit is perfect for residential spaces and especially for set up in halls, multi-entrance rooms or stairs.
- The design of the switches looks modern and stylish with a glossy white finish to match up with any interiors.
- The switch can be used to control multiple lights with just one switch which contributes to the energy efficiency of your home.
- You can create ambient interior lighting scenes using its dimmer lighting control or customize lighting scenes for any occasion such as movie night scene or sleep scene.
- The terms of warranty and customer service can be much better.
- Installation is tricky with a number of random parts involved that need to be manually put together.
The switch ensures the wireless control of the hard-wired incandescent, LED, xenon, halogen, and fluorescent lighting. Control a single light from different locations with the help of a primary switch and auxiliary switch. The accompanying kit will make it easier to set it up in halls, lighting stairs, and multi-entrance rooms.
10. GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Controls
It comes with a 3-way dimmer kit which enables wireless control of lighting. There are two switches – primary and auxiliary to control lighting from two different locations. That makes it perfect for controlling incandescent lighting in residential spaces, particularly in hallway or stairs. The dimmer feature of the switch lets you customize the lighting and control the ambiance of any room.
- The dimmer will replace your traditional switch and provide Z-Wave wireless control of lighting. The primary dimmer includes an LED indicator to locate it in a dark room.
- GE Z-Wave provides affordable and an easy-to-install system for any residential as well as commercial space.
- You don’t ever have to worry about leaving the lights on with its schedule light turning off feature.
- You can now remotely control the operation and give an illusion that someone is at home for an added home security and prevent thefts or other such instances.
- This one works perfectly with Amazon Alexa, that lets you control lighting with your voice. It is easy to install the switch using neutral wire.
- You might encounter some noise during the dimming process that never goes away.
- The lengthy user manual and mislabelled parts make the installation process unnecessarily complicated.
Now you can easily control your hardwired incandescent lighting with the help of GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Three-Way Dimmer Kit. It is perfect for light controls in those never-ending hallways and staircases. The dimmer will let you create just the perfect lighting for every mood and time at your place!
11. Inovelli Z-Wave Switch
This compact light fixture fits right into the wall and connects quickly with all the latest smart home hubs. You can get one for your home at just under 30 dollars. You can just tap on the ‘config button’ and let it get settled into the framework of your home itself. This means you don’t need to manually code or integrate this new addition into your home.
- The Z-Wave Plus (S2 Enabled w/SmartStart Technology), FCC, IC and Underwriters Lab (UL) certifications make it a trusted choice.
- It comes with a number of next-generation features including Extra security via AES-128 Encryption, Signal Booster, and the Z-Wave Range Detection.
- The switch is perfectly compatible with the SmartThings, Wink, Vera / VeraPlus and Hubitat hubs among others.
- You can use Alexa and Echo Dot with it to make it even more useful as a smart device.
- This smart switch works quite well with the GE Add-On Switch (Aux Switch), AC ZWave Switch and even your existing dumb switch.
- The performance might not hold up after a few weeks of usage.
- The Z-wave connectivity keeps on faltering during the course of the day.
The affordable options like this one are worth playing around with at such a throw-away price. The switch comes with multiple plates to jazz up your room aesthetics. The dedicated customer service, multiple scene-setting options, and the self-configuration features are worth a try.
12. UltraPro Z-Wave Smart Rocker Light Switch with QuickFit and SimpleWire
You are in for a smart home breakthrough with its combination of QuickFit and SimpleWire technologies. There is no need of heat tabs with this switch. The UltraPro Z-Wave Smart Rocker Light Switch has also managed to successfully reduce the housing depth during the installation process by a whopping 20 percent with the help of its QuickFit technology.
- Connect it to your Z-wave hub and easily voice control your entire home either via the Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa.
- You will only need an in-wall switch with neutral wire setup to replace it with this one and fully automate your place.
- It comes with a removable white rocker-style paddle in back, brown, ivory and light almond shades.
- The switch is compatible with UltraPro, GE, Jasco, Enbrighten and Honeywell switches.
- With SimpleWire, you can quickly detect the load and line terminal within the wall to speed up and simplify the installation process.
- Might not always work well with the openHAB switches.
- We advise buying from reliable sources because its quality might not be consistent.
- There might not be that much room for customization as customers are used to nowadays.
The UltraPro Z-Wave Smart Rocker Light Switch is made for the DIY crowd. You can install it quite easily and sync it up for all kinds of automated scenes and program settings. It comes with a built-in range extender and Z-wave repeater too.
The above mentioned Z-wave light switches are currently ruling the smart home section. Pick the one most suited for your home by taking full advantage of these detailed reviews.
The Best Z-Wave Light Switch
Well, the Linear Wall Mount Dimmer Switch surely emerges as the best among all the popular Z-Wave light switches in the market today. It has everything that you need in a Z-light switch.
This switch comes with a Smart dimmer switch to let you control lighting, achieve dimming effect, create the desired ambiance with light or remotely turn on/off lights using any mobile device.
It is an affordable choice that has multiple lighting control options. There is also enough power for all your switches and at the same time, it takes care of energy efficiency.
All in all, the Linear Dimmer Switch can be the best lighting controller for your home, that comes with the flexibility of use and ease of access for the users.
Let us know what you think about these Z-Wave Light Switches. Also, point out if you know of any other switch that deserves to be on this list!