Update – August, 2022 [We have replaced 4 obsolete models with the latest ones.]
If you’re looking for a quick overview of the final verdict, here you go:
[After putting in hours of exhaustive research, we think the Fibaro FGMS-001 ZW5 Motion Sensor emerges as the clear winner as far as affordability, features, looks, and overall compatibility are concerned.
If you’re on a tight budget, however, you can go with the Z-Wave Plus Easy Install with Pet Immunity Motion Detector (PIRZWAVE2.5-ECO). It will do the job fairly well.]
Let’s move right ahead and explore what exactly is a Z-wave motion sensor, its utilities, and the criteria you need to consider before making a purchase. Also, do read till the end because we will also reveal which one is the best according to your individual requirements.
Millions of people today have set up smart home systems in their houses. Once an expensive hobby, the smart home has become more and more affordable every single day. To increase the home automation level, users are equipping their systems with motion sensors, and because of compatibility and affordability, they often choose ‘Z-Wave motion sensors’.
You can see the entrance lights that turn on when you get close to the house, lights turning on and off at night when you are moving through the house, and music playing in a room where you are currently stationed. Amazing innovations, aren’t they?!
Watch the video below to experience the magic of motion sensor lights!
But, have you ever wondered how this is possible? From the doors to the locks to the windows, even the lights, everything is automated and can be activated by motion. Well, it’s all thanks to Z-Wave motion sensors!
Z-Wave motion sensors serve as an all-around motion detection system for homes. These sensors can detect motion, but often also change in temperature, the amount of humidity, lighting, water, and much more.
Z-Wave-enabled smart home hubs have powerful rule engines that enable motion sensors to trigger a multiple number of pre-set actions. These actions can be an alarm sound in case a burglar triggers the motion, automatic activation of water sprinklers when there is no motion in the yard, and so much more.
Why Z-Wave Motion Sensor?
- 1 Why Z-Wave Motion Sensor?
- 2 Best Z-Wave Motion Sensor Reviews
- 2.1 1. Z-wave Plus Easy Install with Pet Immunity Motion Detector (PIRZWAVE2.5-ECO)
- 2.2 2. ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40
- 2.3 3. Fibaro FGMS-001 ZW5 Motion Sensor with Z-Wave Plus Multisensor
- 2.4 4. [Newly Added] Ring Alarm Motion Detector (2nd Gen)
- 2.5 5. Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW100 Multisensor
- 2.6 6. [Newly Added] AEOTEC ZWA005-C TriSensor, Z-Wave Plus S2 Motion, Temperature, Light Sensor, Piccolo, White
- 2.7 7. [Newly Added] KAIPULE Ceiling-Mounted Z-Wave Plus PIR Motion Sensor, Compatible with Fibaro, HomeSeer, and Vera – Easy to install
- 2.8 8. [Newly Added] HomeSeer HSM200 Z-Wave Multisensor with LED Indicator
- 2.9 9. Samsung SmartThings Motion Sensor
- 2.10 10. 1/4 Mile Solar Driveway Alarm System Wireless Long Range Outdoor Weather Resistant Motion Sensor & Detector
- 2.11 11. GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor Light Switch
- 3 The Best Z-Wave Motion Sensor
There are still those who doubt the practicality of motion sensors, especially since most samples provided are at the houses of the rich and famous. However, if you think about the benefits that installing a Z-Wave motion sensor can bring, you may end up changing your mind.[If you’re new to home automation and curious as to what exactly is z-wave, read this article.]
With no further a due, here are the top reasons why purchasing a Z-Wave motion sensor is beneficial for you:
Extra security measure
Motion sensors can provide an extra layer of security to your home. Since these sensors detect movements, it will be a lot more difficult for burglars to get in and get out undetected.
It will also give you a warning of any attempted intrusion and will give you a chance to run to safety and call for help. If you couple your sensors with sirens, alarms, alert lights, and other gadgets, they can provide a whole new level of protection for your home.
Ease of use
Aside from protection, motion sensors can also make it easier for you to operate lighting, doors, and gadgets in your house. Instead of turning the lights on manually, you can pre-set your light sensors to automatically control your lighting without the need for you to do anything. Your job is just to be present or not, motion sensors will take care of the rest.
You can also pre-set light sensors connected to lighting in your hallway, comfort room, and kitchen to automatically turn on or off when someone passes. It saves you time and money.
You can place outdoor sensors connected to outdoor lights that can serve as a signal for your neighbors when forced entry is taking place. When the lights switch on at your gates or your porch even when you are away, your neighbors can check it out and immediately inform you. They can also alert the police.
There are many more benefits that you can get when you buy Z-Wave motion sensors. Those above are only some of the best advantages it can offer. If you have finally decided to purchase a Z-Wave motion sensor, move onwards to this article for the eleven best bets you can purchase in markets today.
Best Z-Wave Motion Sensor Reviews
1. Z-wave Plus Easy Install with Pet Immunity Motion Detector (PIRZWAVE2.5-ECO)
One of the top-performing Z-Wave motion sensors today is the Z-Wave Plus Easy Install PET Immunity Motion Detector. With a price tag of around $30, you can enjoy premium components that come along with the device. There are two modes available, automation and security.
- You don’t have to worry about installing the device since you can install it easily, you can either opt for flush mounting or mount at corners.
- If you go for the latter, wall brackets come with the package. Once the power is up, the sensors can immediately start learning about the different motions that pass through.
- Since it is small and light, about 4.8 ounces or about 136 grams, you can easily hide it. Not to forget, the 5-year battery life can serve you a long way.
- An additional feature of the device is its pet immunity. You no longer need to worry about false alarms that your pets may trigger.
- However, the immunity is only up to 55 lbs (about 25 kg), which is adequate immunity for regular pets. Unless you have elephants for pets, you don’t have to worry. So, if you have dogs and other pets around your house, this Z-Wave motion sensor can be the right choice for you.
- It runs on C-type batteries which are rarely available everywhere.
- You need to switch to ‘Test Mode’ for adjusting the response time of the movement sensor.
- Adjusting the response time causes greater power consumption of the batteries.
The affordable price makes it quite a steal considering its compatibility and latest features. It works exceedingly well with different types of smart home architectures in a glitch-free manner. The pet owners looking for an actually useful motion detector on the budget will particularly appreciate it.
2. ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40
Another top performer in the Z-Wave motion sensor arena is the ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor. This device prides over its 4-in-1 component. The device supports motion detection, light sensing, temperature changes, and humidity sensing. At a price of just under $40, this device is already a deal on its own.
- Aside from the sensors, it also has seven motion sensitivity levels of motion sensitivity with three modes that you can choose for motion detection or temperature notifications.
- In the case of a low battery, the device gives alerts that notify you of charging or replacement.
- The device also comes with a built-in tamper sensor which will give a signal in case of intentional tampering. If you are using VERA controllers, you don’t have to worry about compatibility because this guy will fit right in.
- Please take note though that when you are using alarm panels like ADT Pulse or Wink controllers and similar devices, it may not work or may not function as intended.
- These devices don’t accept multi-level command class so you may find it difficult to fit the ZOOZ with these guys. However, if you can find a way to work around this, then the device is a good product to consider buying.
- It is not supported by smart panels such as the Wink, Nexia, Piper, Vivint, and ADT Pulse.
- Only a compatible Z-wave hub icon be set up with this sensor.
- You might get too many false positives with its motion detection.
This multisensor is for all those smart homeowners that can easily program it with their own codes. Its programming part is not that difficult if you are a veteran. The coding portion is quite predictable and helps you make the most out of this under 40 dollars smart purchase.
3. Fibaro FGMS-001 ZW5 Motion Sensor with Z-Wave Plus Multisensor
Another motion sensor that is on this list is the Fibaro FGMS-001 ZW5 Motion Sensor. Even though it has a smaller size than the first two, the Fibaro ZW5 packs a Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 multi-sensor component. It can detect motion, variation in temperature, light, and vibrations. That’s because of the accelerometer installed inside its small compact body.
- Unlike the first two, the Fibaro comes with an alert system that smartphone or tablet enthusiasts will surely love. If you have been away, you can easily monitor your house by syncing the device to your phone or tablet. You can also receive email notifications.
- You can trigger the alarm or activate specific pre-set scenes remotely when motion detection or light detection kicks in.
- If you have pets at home that could trigger false alarms, you can easily adjust the sensitivity level to distinguish pets from people.
- If your concern is tampering, you don’t have to worry as well since the device comes with a tamper protection mechanism that gives off alerts when someone moves the device.
- You get the device and all these features for approximately $60. A bit pricier than the first two but it will be worth the money.
- Works with many different smart home hubs that support Z-Wave such as SmartThings hubs.
- It might get stuck on high after a few months of usage.
- The battery drains pretty quickly even in the absence of much activity.
You can make an aesthetically pleasing and lightweight addition to your gorgeous home with this Fibaro FGMS-001 ZW5 Motion Sensor. You can even adjust it to light up with every motion detection and be a perfect delight to have until you require only generic use out of it.
4. [Newly Added] Ring Alarm Motion Detector (2nd Gen)
This is a small device that brings a lot of improvements over the 1st gen device. It has a decent price of around 40 dollars. Works especially well if you have a Ring smart home system.
- It is a small and easy-to-install device. You will have no problem installing it yourself.
- Seamless compatibility with Ring home security system. Allows you to have all your security device connected to one ecosystem.
- Uses AA batteries which are widely accessible.
- The sensitivity is highly varied on your calibration and may falsely trigger some motion events (e.g. curtain flutter).
- The AA batteries need to be replaced once in a while.
Made especially for the Ring home security system, it gives users a product with an easy installation process and reliable detection system, if you have the time to tinker with the sensor sensitivity.
5. Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW100 Multisensor
Another Z-Wave sensor that you should not miss looking at is the Aeotec ZW100 Multisensor by Aeon Labs. This small device contains six sensors fused into one. This device can detect motion or PIR, change in humidity, change in temperature, lighting, vibration, and Ultraviolet light.
- Mounting the Aeotec is easy with four options available. You can mount it on the ceiling to connect it to your lighting or vertical motion sensing. You can mount it on a shelf, on the wall, or even around corners.
- Whichever way you want, you can install the device easily. The small size also adds to the convenience.
- Whether you install it indoors or outdoors, the device is applicable. Just remember that indoors, the antenna range can reach up to 80 ft. while outdoors, the range is about 300 ft. at Z-Wave RF.
- If you install it outside, make sure to provide protection from outdoor elements like rain, storms, dust, and other factors that may affect its performance.
- With a price tag of just under $60, the device might just be worth the buy. The features that it provides can surely make up for the price. However, if you are still looking for something more, there are still others on this list.
- It might take over 30 minutes to respond to a few triggers such as humidity.
- Your smart devices synced with it might get bombarded with false low-battery notifications.
- The motion sensor range is barely 3 feet and not 15 feet as promised by its manufacturers.
Go for these sensors if you are looking for compact, almost unnoticeable sensors that can help you with your home security. They work wonders in motion and light trigger detection. After a few firmware updates, you will be able to manage its battery levels and response times pretty easily.
6. [Newly Added] AEOTEC ZWA005-C TriSensor, Z-Wave Plus S2 Motion, Temperature, Light Sensor, Piccolo, White
This is a good all-around motion sensor with additional temperature and light sensor functionality. For around 70 dollars it is a bit expensive but it offers a great integration into the Aeotec ecosystem.
- Benefits from multiple sensory information, saving you the money to buy some other sensors separately.
- Battery life is good, up to 3 years so you won’t have a need to change the battery often.
- It is very easy to pair it with different smart home hubs, making it an easy choice if you don’t yet know which Z-Wave hub you want to buy or keep.
- Has a good integration with Home Assistant or Alexa so you can easily check if there is a motion in your house with a simple voice command.
- It has a lower report rate for illumination sensors.
- It may detect some false positive motion triggers in a day.
- Sometimes it requires tinkering with the calibration.
If you have an Aeotec smart home system, this sensor is a no-brainer. It is a bit expensive, but the feature set and compatibility make this purchase decision easier.
7. [Newly Added] KAIPULE Ceiling-Mounted Z-Wave Plus PIR Motion Sensor, Compatible with Fibaro, HomeSeer, and Vera – Easy to install
For around 25 dollars, this is a great price for budget-oriented users. It has a decent, specialized functionality and is reliable when it is connected to the smart home network.
- It is compatible with a wide variety of smart home hubs (e.g. Fibaro and Vera).
- Estimated 2 years of battery life should be good for even the more demanding users.
- Uses a 360-degree view to recognize motion from the ceiling.
- A battery indicator can give a false warning.
- Pairing with the hub sometimes must be repeated as it gets recognized as a generic instead of a proprietary device.
If you are a budget-aware user, this sensor is a perfect fit for you. It may require a little hustle to set up, but when it is up and running, it is a pretty reliable sensor for the money.
8. [Newly Added] HomeSeer HSM200 Z-Wave Multisensor with LED Indicator
This motion sensor has the capability to measure temperature and light levels alongside the motion detection capability. It enables users to notify users about the changes on the device by using the integrated RGB LED diode without the need for them to look at a phone.
- Has programmable RGB LED to glow different colors when the motion occurs in different scenarios.
- You can also connect your mobile phone, tablet, or computer to receive notifications when you are away. It allows you the chance to monitor your house in case of any activities even when you are miles away.
- Does not need batteries, it plugs into the wall.
- It is able to extend the Z-Wave network.
- Users are limited to the creative places to hide it and they must connect it to the socket.
- Usage is only with the HomeSeer software or HomeTroller hub.
This device is great for people who need to extend the range of their smart home setup but still get new features for their money. At around 60 dollars, it has a fair price for the features it offers.
9. Samsung SmartThings Motion Sensor
- You can connect the device to many other smart devices, ranging from lights and switches to cameras, doorbells, locks, and even thermostats.
- The only requirement is that you have the SmartThings app and that all the devices you want to connect to are compatible with it.
- Your home security is in very good hands with this motion sensor. It will send you alerts whenever any unexpected activity takes place. These alerts can be triggered by movement, time, moisture, or temperature.
- Although some users report technical glitches in the device, the supportive customer care of Samsung more than makes up for it.
- The sensor is capable of capturing motion up to 15 feet away with a rotation range of 120 degrees.
- The SmartThings hub might or even connect or often disconnect with this motion sensor.
- The period of time’ feature under the ‘Custom Automation’ service does not get activated on its app.
- The battery life keeps on fluctuating on a daily basis without a regular power consumption pattern.
The Samsung SmartThings Motion Sensor is not a bad deal in its 20 dollars range for a new homeowner. You get an easy-to-install and sturdy sensor that is compatible with a wide range of smart home appliances. The dedicated customer care and generous warranty terms add a layer of reliability to it.
10. 1/4 Mile Solar Driveway Alarm System Wireless Long Range Outdoor Weather Resistant Motion Sensor & Detector
This completely solar-powered motion sensor and alarm system setup need no additional batteries. It comprises the wisdom of over 30 years combined with the technological innovations of its manufacturer, eMACROS. And you get to benefit from it at just under 70 dollars!
- This item comes with an AC Powered Base Receiver and 1 Sensor to offer you a smart safety blanket.
- The built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery can easily be powered by its solar panel or a DC5V power adapter.
- You get the option of 4 different alarm chimes that helps you identify the source better when the sensors pick up something.
- It can easily be expanded to up to 4 sensors and unlimited receivers with hassle-free wireless operation.
- With an impressive 1500FT wireless range coverage and amazing resistance to challenging weather resistance, you will be getting a smart home upgrade with its installation.
- The notification falters outdoors and thus leads to unreliable performance.
- You might not get good use out of it in colder regions or during the rainy and winter seasons.
- The chimes library could be bigger with a better collection of alarm tones.
This sensor is for all those people who love to improve their homes while protecting the environment. You will be saving a good deal on your electricity bill with these solar-powered sensors. Wireless is the next best thing after free Wi-Fi. If you agree with the same then this wireless setup with amazing coverage will be perfect for you.
11. GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor Light Switch
It works well with all the major hubs including the SmartThings, Wink, Home Seer, Vera, Nexia, and Alexa. Priced within the range of 60 dollars, it is sufficient to control the wall fixtures and ceiling lights in your home through customized settings. There are infinite ways in which you can use this sensor to program and control the light systems across your home fully wireless.
- Its 3-way ready setting allows you to use it along with up to four add-on switches. The compatible switch models are models 12723, 12728, 46199, or 46200.
- This sensor is compatible with all previous Z-wave generations and gives plenty of scope for seamless compatibility with future updates too.
- You can also employ it as a repeater in your Z-wave smart home setup to extend the overall range up to 150 feet.
- You get the white and light almond cover buttons with the package for an easy in-wall installation, preferably indoors.
- LED, CFL, halogen, and incandescent bulbs are perfectly compatible with the GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor Light Switch.
- It might not be compatible with Wink.
- Some faulty functioning issues might start to come up after 2 months.
- Sensitivity levels might not be at par with other premium brands.
If you are looking for a sleek and effective smart motion sensor then GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor Light Switch might work for you. It comes with amazing connectivity and sync abilities with your already existing smart home system. You can pair it up with the smart shower system too via an app and further cut down on electricity bills.
These are our top choices when it comes to the Z-wave motion sensors present in the market at present. Choose smartly to reap its benefits for ages!
The Best Z-Wave Motion Sensor
The decision on which device is best highly depends on you. If you are really mindful of the price, the Z-wave Plus Easy Install with Pet Immunity Motion Detector (PIRZWAVE2.5-ECO) can be your choice since it is for sale at around $30. If you are a pet lover, fairly all the products in this list provide immunity against false alarms that your pets can trigger.
However, if you care more about the features that are available, you can go for the Fibaro FGMS-001 ZW5 Motion Sensor which has four sensors built into one for a price of around $50.
Know a friend or relative who’s looking forward to beefing up their home security? They would really appreciate you for sharing this article with them!
Also, do let us know your thoughts on our review of the best Z-Wave motion sensors in the comments section below.